Wednesday, March 19, 2008

 

2008 Favorite Ten Hymns of Calvary Baptist Church

#1 Amazing Grace
#2 How Great Thou Art
#3 In Christ Alone--introduced to CBC only within the last year
#4 Complete in Thee--also new, since summer I think
#4 Be thou My Vision--written in the 8th century!
#6 It is Well With MY Soul
#6 The Old Rugged Cross
#6 Victory in Jesus
#9 Holy, Holy, Holy
#9 In the Garden (supported as somewhat of a joke)

Pastor Kris does this survey about every 18 months and we take a Sunday night to sing them, along with some stories and scripture related to them. I really enjoy these. And to see two "new" songs break into the top ten (of 186 that received at least one vote) is very significant, too!

Comments:
Great selections!! Maybe you can fill us in on the joke with "In The Garden". I love that one... and it was one of my dad's favorites! We actually selected it for his funeral service. (I think that I heard him singing along with us that day:) )
 
Glad you enjoyed the service. To clarify, the last time we did this there was an actual, underhanded attempt to force me to sing "In the Garden" (which just so happens to be my least favorite hymn in our hymnbook). However, this time around no such attempt was made. It legitimately made the top ten, much to my chagrin. There are quite a few people in our church that do know this fact, so it was very difficult to lead that hymn with a straight face.

All in all, I did enjoy the evening, and I was indeed thrilled to see "In Christ Alone" and "Complete in Thee" not only make the top ten, but the top five! We'll see what happens next time.
 
Maybe next time Pastor Kris "has" to sing "In The Garden", it will help him to think of my 93 year-old invalid dad (Cheryl's grandfather, and one of the builders of the original CBC building on Cherry St.) who, in his daily devotional time with his son David, often wanted to sing this song - even though he could bearly speak. There must have been something in this song that made him feel very close to God. I often think of my dad walking (and singing) "in the garden" in heaven with his Lord and Savior. :)
Rosemary
 
My favorites are #4, and #6.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?